Here are some of the most commonly asked Windows Server Administrator Interview Questions and Answers.
1. What are the role’s of System Administrator?
The role of System Administrator differs in the organization. The three main task of a System Admin is Installing, Supporting and maintaining servers & computers.
- Install patches & OS Updates
- Review system logs access administration
- Access administration for users
- Disaster recovery planning
- Creating and Restoring system backups
- Comply with password requirements
- Access control
- System audit logging
2. What is the different version of Windows Server?
The following are are the different version of windows servers:
- Windows Server 2003 (2003)
- Windows Server 2003 R2 (2005)
- Windows Server 2008 (2008)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (2009)
- Windows Server 2012 (2012)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (2013)
- Windows Server 2016 (upcoming – 2016)
3. What are the different roles in Windows Server?
The following are the different roles in Windows server:
- Active Directory Certificate Services (ADCS)
- Active Directory Domain Services (ADDS)
- Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS)
- Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (ADLDS)
- Active Directory Rights Management Services (ADRMS)
- Application Server
- DHCP Server
- DNS Server
- FAX Server
- File and Storage Services
- Print and Document Services
- Network Policy and Access Services
- Remote Access
- Remote Desktop Services
- Volume Activation Services
- Web Server (IIS)
- Windows Deployment Services (WDS)
- Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)
4. What is DNS?
Domain Naming System(DNS) resolves IP address to the hostname(domain) and hostname(domain name) to IP address.
5. What is DHCP?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) helps in automatically allocation IP address over the network with defined scope.
6. What are the types FSMO roles?
The are five FSMO roles
- Primary Domain Controller (PDC)
- Infrastructure master
- Relative ID (RID) master
- Schema master
- Domain naming master
7. What is Active Directory?
Active Directory is Microsoft directory services used on Windows servers. Active directory is a centralized database for users, computers, networks, printers, files etc.
8. What do Forests, Trees, and Domains mean?
Domain, tree and forest are a logical structure in Active Directory.
Domain: A domain is a collection of computers, users, and objects which share common AD and has trust relationships.
Tree: A tree collection of one or more domain.
Forest: The forest is the top of the Active Directory structure. It is consists of multiple trees which share a common global catalog.
9. What is Domain Controller?
Domain Controller is used in windows based operating systems for security authentication of users, computers etc. It is a central database for storing users account information and security enforcement. For example, DC helps which users to allow or deny the access to a particular folder in a particular domain.
10. Explain about Hyper-V?
Hyper-V is Microsoft’s virtualization tool for creating multiple virtual machines on a single physical server, thus reducing the cost of hardware and improving efficiency.
11. What is LDAP?
LDAP is a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol. The directory services are just like a database for storing computers, users, objects etc. which helps in adding, removing and updating computer objects in the directory.
12. What is WDS?
Windows Deployment Services helps for installing Windows operating system(OS) remotely over the network
13. What is WSUS?
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) is developed by Microsoft to manage the distribution of updates in Windows environment.
14. What is PowerShell?
Windows PowerShell is Command-Line Shell developed by Microsoft. The main purpose of the PowerShell is to automate administrative tasks which work both local and remote windows machines. PowerShell is built on .NET Framework.
15. What is replication?
Replication is a process in active directory which keeps domain controller syncs with other DC over the network.
16. What is Schema?
Schema is a master database which contains all the information about the object in Active Directory.
17. What is trust relationship?
Trust relationship allows access between different domains or forest.
18. What is Server Manager?
It is utility tool in Windows Servers for the administrator for managing servers roles(like adding or removing server roles.